Respect the land, water, wildlife, plants, and other people.
Steep Rock offers a wide variety of River Recreations for the dedicated fisherman, a hobbyist or a family out looking for some quality time. Spend your day with us and enjoy the wettest part of nature.
Our Preserves offer a special place for both the solo angler seeking a peaceful retreat and the family excited to create lasting memories together. Help us continue to allow public fishing in our Preserves by following the rules listed below along with our preserve maps.
Per DEEP Trout Season for Rivers: Second Weekend in April through last day in February
Steep Rock Association preserves land surrounding 6 miles of the Shepaug River. The River provides a peaceful backdrop to hiking trails, and also the opportunity for a paddle when the water is high enough. Non-motorized boats can enter the river at a number of locations marked on our trail maps.
Fishing & Boating Rules
By fishing in our Preserves, anglers acknowledge understanding of and adherence to these Fishing Rules.
- Fishing privileges are at the continued discretion of Steep Rock Association.
- Connecticut state fishing licenses and appropriate government issued identification are to be carried by all anglers in the Preserves.
- Connecticut state fishing laws are in force.
- Steep Rock Association’s daily creel limit is 1 fish. Catch & release fishing is encouraged.
- Public fishing is allowed only in designated PUBLIC FISHING sections of the preserves.
- Public fishing is NOT allowed in POSTED sections of the preserves, upstream of Reich Memorial Bridge or downstream of Hauser Bridge, where fishing is restricted to members of the Washington Rod & Gun Club. Visit www.washingtonrgc.org for membership information.
- It is the angler’s responsibility to locate and observe posted signs.
- Groups of more than two people in the PUBLIC FISHING sections require special access permission from Steep Rock Association.
- Outings coordinated by nonprofit/community groups in the PUBLIC FISHING sections require a day use permit from Steep Rock Association.