West Mountain Preserve
West Mountain Preserve, located in the southeast corner of Washington, comprises two distinct properties: Johnson Farm and Hillside Farm. Together, these properties showcase the area’s rich and ongoing agricultural legacy, as active farm fields dot the diverse landscape.
37 West Mountain Road #2 Washington, CT 06793
The 52-acre Johnson Farm showcases several active agricultural fields, as well as a mix of sunny meadows and shady, open forests. 1.25 miles of hiking trails crisscross the terrain, offering breathtaking hillside views.
397 Nettleton Hollow Rd. Washington, CT 06793
The 86-acre Hillside Farm features a rich mosaic of landscapes, with farm fields blending seamlessly with the surrounding meadows, wetlands, and forested hillsides. Trails are expected to be finalized in the fall of 2022, but a parking area and picnic site are currently available for visitors to bask in the magnificent ridgeline views.
Points of Interest
Totaling roughly 220 acres, West Mountain Preserve is SRA’s smallest nature preserve that is open to the public. With its grand hilltop views and hiking trails that pass through picturesque fields and open forest, this small preserve leaves a big impression.
1. Pasture Oak Picnic Site at Johnson Farm
Perched atop a small ridge crowned by sprawling oak trees, this picnic site provides breathtaking views of the adjoining farm fields as well as the surrounding hillsides of Washington, Woodbury, and Bethlehem.
2. Picnic Site at Hillside Farm
With gorgeous views of the meadows surrounding Sprain Brook and nearby unspoiled ridgelines, this picnic site offers visitors incredible scenery conveniently situated immediately adjacent to the parking area.
FAQS & Rules
Please help us protect the natural beauty and integrity of the preserve by not removing or destroying plants and wildlife. Click below to see how you can best help us protect the environment.
- Leave No Trace.
- Do not remove or destroy plants and wildlife.
- Open sunrise to sunset, daily.
- Park cars in designated areas.
- Motorized vehicles are prohibited. Use of Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices is restricted. For approval, contact the SRA Office at (860) 868-9131.
- No hunting.
- No alcoholic beverages.
- No loud noise or music.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times.
- Fires are not permitted.
- No camping.
- No horseback riding.
- Do not harm trees by chopping, carving or driving nails.
- Do not litter: please carry out what you carry in.
- Drones are prohibited.
- Commercial activities are prohibited without a permit issued by the Executive Director and/or Board of Trustees.
- Groups of 15 or more people require a group use permit.
- Cross-Country Skiers: Please set tracks on one side of the trail only.
- Hikers, Snowshoers and dogs please respect ski tracts by keeping to the other side of the trail.