Steep Rock Association (SRA) seeks a dynamic and motivated Development Specialist to join our incredible team. The Development Specialist will provide leadership in helping us reimagine our approach to fundraising and serve as a catalyst for generating the resources needed to fulfill our mission. The ideal candidate will be diplomatic and energetic, passionate about the environment and passive recreation, have experience coordinating campaigns and events, be tech savvy, and able to interact positively with a diverse set of supporters and donors. Excellent development, marketing, and interpersonal communications skills are necessary. A good deal of autonomy will be granted to the ideal candidate in helping to move Steep Rock to the next exciting phase in its evolution. This is a new position and reports to the Executive Director.
About Steep Rock Association:
Steep Rock Association is a nonprofit land trust whose mission is to conserve ecologically and historically significant landscapes in and around Washington, Connecticut and the Shepaug River Valley and to enhance the community’s connection with nature. Formed in 1925, SRA is the second oldest and fourth largest land trust in Connecticut that protects and manages over 5,200 acres of land. Steep Rock has three large public preserves—Steep Rock, Hidden Valley, and Macricostas—with varied topography and critical ecological habitats, spectacular vistas, over 42 miles of hiking trails, and seven miles of the beautiful Shepaug River. Steep Rock is a popular recreation destination for the region and has a highly developed, science-based, biodiversity conservation program. Steep Rock also offers educational outreach programs and Judea Garden produces over 3,000 pounds of vegetables annually that provides food for more than 600 people through local food banks. Steep Rock has five staff members, an annual budget around $600,000, a reserve fund of $3 million, and a donor base of more than 650 individuals, corporations, and foundations. Several significant land acquisitions costing more than $2.5 million have recently been completed and other acquisitions are in progress. Steep Rock is led by an active and engaged volunteer Board of Trustees and many Trustees and volunteers are actively involved in our diverse programs and well-organized committees. Steep Rock is accredited by the Land Trust Alliance.
Overview of Duties:
- Coordinate annual appeals initiatives, including mailings and follow-up correspondence
- Develop metrics and annual targets for tracking progress toward short-term and long-term fundraising goals
- Strategic planning and implementation of capital campaigns
- Identify prospective major donors and develop outreach campaigns, especially for non-local preserve visitors
- Build, foster, and maintain relationships with existing and prospective donors on an ongoing basis
- Improve gift recognition, donor stewardship and supporter benefits programs
- Launch Legacy and Bequest Programs
- Coordinate annual fundraising events (Give Local, Giving Tuesday, Rossiter Circle Dinner, Picnic, etc.)
- Work with Development Committee on event planning, scheduling, and implementation
- Identify Foundation, Corporate, Federal & State grant funding opportunities
- Assist Board and staff in grant research, proposal writing, and reporting
- Develop grant tracking system
- Motivate staff, board members and volunteers in development efforts
- Assess ongoing efforts and adapt accordingly
- Produce appropriate reports for Committee and Board Meetings
- Attend Development Committee meetings and prepare meeting minutes
- Attend quarterly Board meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Ideal candidate will embrace Steep Rock’s mission in the community
- Natural passion and aptitude for reaching out to new people, strengthening relationships, seeing the positive in everyone, and serving as an inspiring ambassador for Steep Rock
- 2-4 years strategic sales/fundraising experience
- Record of success with annual appeals, major donations, and capital campaigns
- Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor, and ability to engage meaningfully with different personality types
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills including ability to multi-task and prioritize duties
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel, Powerpoint, and/or other presentation software
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and remotely as dictated by donor schedules
- Experience working collaboratively with volunteers, donors, staff, nonprofit Boards, community groups, etc.
- Nonprofit fundraising experience preferred
- Knowledge or experience in land acquisition processes
- Familiarity with donor management and CRM software, especially Salsa Labs
- Experience with social media and Word Press or other web host platforms
- Event planning experience
- Degree in marketing, communications, nonprofit management or related field
- Certified Fundraising Professional
This is a part-time position (20 hours per week) with potential to become full-time. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience. Position is eligible for performance-based incentive bonus.
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references in a single document by email to email@example.com. Steep Rock offers a collaborative, team-oriented, and flexible work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and act in accordance with laws applicable to employment practices. SRA does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or age.