Rossiter Run 5K
Rossiter Run 5K and Fun Run Goes Virtual for 2023
The main entrance to Steep Rock Preserve may be closed and group events restricted, but the annual Rossiter Run 5K lives on! We are embracing this unique opportunity to offer runners, hikers, and walkers other 5K routes in our preserves in 2023. We have mapped out alternate routes at each of our 4 preserves, and invite you to explore our other preserves in this friendly health and wellness event.
How does it work?
1. Register using the above button
2. Run or walk: Between June 1-20, 2023, Select your 5K route of choice – routes are posted below.
3. Document: To be eligible for prizes, document your 5K run/walk using the hashtag #RossiterRun (for photo ideas, see below!)
4. Celebrate your accomplishment with us at our Summer Solstice Firepit Party on June 21st. We will have a “victory” lap group run of approx. 2 miles around the hayfield, announce prize winners, have refreshments and fun. For more info on the Firepit Party, click here.
Choose your 5K!
Click on the Preserve Name below to view the route map. Please note, while there will be directional signs along the route to help guide you, we strongly encourage you to bring a printed version or a screenshot of the map with you.
Hidden Valley Preserve – Moderate to hard, complete with flat trails mixed with steep inclines. This route will take you up to the Lookout via the Van Sinderen Loop (yellow) trail, past the Quartz Mine to a Connector Trail (white diamond) and back to the Van Sinderen Loop (yellow) to complete the 5K along the Shepaug River.
Macricostas Preserve – Easy to moderate, mixed terrain, boardwalk and hayfield with some inclines in the field. This route takes you along the StoryWalk Trail near Judea Garden, then onto the Meeker Trail (yellow) and around the Hayfield Loop (green) before returning along the same route and finishing at the parking lot.
Steep Rock Preserve – Easy to moderate, the classic 5K route at Steep Rock Preserve along Tunnel Road is mostly flat along a dirt road that follows the Shepaug River. Follow a section of the Steep Rock Loop trail (yellow) on an out-and-back route from the main parking area at Steep Rock Preserve, down Tunnel Road and back.
Johnson Farm @ West Mountain Preserve – Easy, mostly flat field trails with beautiful views, think of this route as a “figure 8”, follow the arrows on the path around the Johnson Farm Loop (yellow) and the Old Pasture Trail (red).
To be eligible for prizes:
Document your run your way! Snap a photo of your smiling face, your snazzy sneakers, the scenic trail you’re running on, the 5K marker post, or your fitness tracker results on Strava/Garmin/Fitbit. Share your photos on social media using the hashtag #RossiterRun between June 1-20, so that we can find and celebrate your achievement.
* Please keep in mind that if your Facebook or Instagram accounts are private, we won’t be able to see your photos so please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20, 2023 at 8:00PM. Winners will be celebrated and prizes drawn at random and announced at our June 21st Firepit Party (details to follow!)
If you have any questions about this event, please email email@example.com or call (860) 868-9131.